Network Software is depicted in Figure below, additionally reflecting the O-RAN functional partitioning into O-RU (Radio Unit), O-DU (Distributed Unit), and O-CU (Centralized Unit) and RIC (RAN Intelligent Controller).
Network Software is a central part of cloud-native, virtualized networking solutions.The Network Software consists of the following product groups:
- gNodeB, being part of the Software-Defined RAN (SD-RAN), is a 3GPP-compliant implementation of the 5G-NR base station.
- eNodeB, being part of the Software-Defined RAN (SD-RAN), is a 3GPP-compliant implementation of the 4G LTE base station.
- RIC (RAN Intelligent Controller (RIC), is a proprietary implementation of an O-RAN compliant radio access network SDN controller. It is accompanied by a library of applications realizing chosen telecom functions (xAPPs).
- Core is a basic 3GPP compliant core network functionality covering both 4G, as well as 5G (Non-stand Alone and Stand Alone).
- MANO is a Management and Orchestration software aligned with ETSI NFV (Network Function Virtualization) concept.