aLTE eNB stands for aLTErnative eNB. It is a fully functional LTE base station (eNB) running on a PC with RF-frontend functionality provided by a commercial off-the-shelf SDR hardware. With HSS and EPC provided as part of the package a customer obtains a complete “network-in-a-box” solution, Figure 1. It is based on open-source protocol stacks, but unlike most of them aLTE eNB is easily configurable, seamlessly running and equipped with monitoring and troubleshooting tools, Figure 2.
aLTE eNB is an optimal solution for all R&D engineers and educators working on development or knowledge creation of LTE/4G/5G wireless access systems.
Figure 1. aLTE eNB.
Figure 2. aLTErnative eNB Manager scheme
Key features and benefits
|Open source protocol stack||Access to all eNB functionalities||Freedom to modify, adapt and deploy|
|Configurator||Easy installation and configuration||Saves a lot of time, all-in-one solution|
|Professional O&M||Instant access to supporting professionals||You can concentrate on your added value and not on system operation|
We would be excited to learn about your business and technical needs and propose a product or customization to fulfill them. To receive more information about our products, request a quote or get a trial, please contact us at email@example.com.
Technical specification summary
- Hardware requirements:
- Intel Core i5 or equivalent CPU
- at least 4GiB RAM
- at least 2GiB free disk space
- USB 3.0 port
- Ettus USRP B2x0 or other compatible RF frontend
- Internet connection
- Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit Operating System
- User account with sudo (or super user) privileges
LTE eNB features:
- based on open source LTE stack
- basic Rel. 8 compatibility
- sensible defaults for novice users
- advanced eNB customization options for power users
- supports Category 1 UEs
- uses Software Defined Radio as RF frontend
- Core Network features
- based on open source LTE stack
- basic EPC + HSS functionality
- runs on the same PC as LTE eNB – all-in-one package
aLTErnative Manager features:
- automated installation of LTE stack and all its dependencies
- obtaining the source code
- environment setup
- LTE stack build
- powerful management tools:
- configurable user profiles
- easy to use text-based UI for Linux novices
- full control through command line for Linux power users
- LTE stack setup from one central place
- LTE stack control frontend
- Technical support of aLTErnative manager
- eNB/UE operation
- Negotiable support for LTE stacks
- Negotiable hourly-limit for support
|Application||Benefit||Who can benefit?|
|R&D||aLTErnative eNB serves as an embedded real-time operating platform suitable for research on eNB-related functionalities||Research Institute, ODM, OEM, Operator|
|Education||aLTErnative eNB provides great platform for teaching and experimentation on 4G and 5G||Universities, training companies|
|Demonstration||aLTErnative eNB can be used to demonstrate operation of LTE infrastructure in a mini laboratory environment||Research Institute, ODM, OEM, Operator|
|Base station development||aLTErnative eNB shortens significantly development time of a small cell base station||ODM, OEM, Research Institute|
Example customer experience
aLTErnative Manager Dashboard component.
Creating new eNB profile – setting path to installed OAI directory.
Creating new eNB profile – setting downlink frequency.
Adding USIM information – Ki value – to HSS database, for use by eNB.
Finished creating new eNB profile, commiting information to filesystem and database.
Initialization of aLTErnative eNB Hotspot component.
Messages logged by 3rd party open-source eNB.
Messages logged by Wireshark on eNB’s network interface.